Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Disconnected......

Jimmy Buffett and I need to hang out. You know those people who are famous or otherwise high profile that you know in your bones would be great friends if you could just get to them? JImmy is one of those for me. (Simon Cowell, too, but that's a story for another day.....for sure.)

I was listening to one of Jimmy's greatest hits albums in my car the other day. The specific song is not important.....and I don't remember the name of it anyway.....but he was lamenting the concept of "supersizing" at movie theaters, ending with the cry "I don't want that much organization in my life!"

Me, neither. A little order is necessary, especially if one is in a professional position. But a little of that goes a very long way, to fall back on a cliche. Yes, a VERY long way.

This particular point smacked me in the face last week as I traveled out of town on business with the young woman who runs the company I work for. For a short period last year, I ached to buy an iPhone. Other expenses took higher priority, though, so I am forced to stick with my tiny, outdated cell phone.

Well, hallelujah is all I can say!  Technology has added much to our lives, there is no doubt about that. We can keep in touch in ways that were unheard of a few years ago.But my traveling companion spent the entire trip, right up until her head hit the pillow each night, answering email and text messges from customers and the office back home.

She is never off duty.

I don't want that much organization in my life. Ever. But we are allowing one another unlimited access to our lives through the use of these devices, our stress level rising every day until we each reach our personal flash points.

And I don't want to know what that point is for me. So, Jimmy and I are sitting out here by the pool with my antiquated phone silent next to me.

Plus, I bet it's five o'clock somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment