Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Approved!

There isn't much it compares with. Let me think....
  • Will you marry me?
  • You're going to have a baby!
  • I want to offer you the job.
  • I'm going to let you off with a warning....
But the phone call I received a week or so ago trumps all of them.

After years of rejection letters clogging my mailbox like they were multiplying  inside that small metal space, I heard the words I had begun to think would elude me forever:

"We want to offer you a contract on your book."

Tears flooded my eyes, unbidden. Me, the person who has never cried openly in a movie theater. I collapsed on the nearest chair and started to tremble. I ran screaming through the house after I hung up.

The woman might as well have slapped "APPROVED!" across my forehead with an oversized rubber stamp. In red. I was validated.....finally.

I can't explain why I needed that validation from a traditional publisher. I know I'm a good writer. I've gotten plenty of positive feedback from other writers and from educated people I respect. But I decided that this manuscript was going to be my totem, the visible mark of my worth as a writer. I threw all my energy into it and to its marketing.

"We want to offer you a contract on your book!"   And I only had to wait several decades to hear it.

Yes, it was worth it.

Ink and paper are sometimes passionate lovers, oftentimes brother and sister, and occasionally mortal enemies. ~Terri Guillemets

1 comment:

  1. By the way, congratulations on getting a contract on your book, Deborah! I read this a while back, but didn't comment! I'm curious about what happens next in this part of your life. Do things happen slowly after the exciting phone call?

    Martha McKie

    ReplyDelete